Travel spots in Lithuania

Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Žeimiai: a twin-spired Gothic Revival church and its architect's burial place

The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Žeimiai is one of Vaclovas Michnevičius's strongest Gothic Revival churches. Built in 1906-1909, its red-brick twin-spired exterior encloses a three-aisled interior with altars by local maker Augustinas Meslinas. Older chapels and the architect's own grave stand in the churchyard.

Place
Jonava District Municipality
Region
Aukštaitija
Type
Gothic Revival Catholic church
Address
45 Kauno Street, Žeimiai, Jonava District
Coordinates
55.17972, 24.22021
Visit duration
30-60 minutes
Best time
on Sunday before or after the 10:30 Mass, after rechecking the archdiocesan schedule
Names and variants

Žeimiai Church

Twin-spired Gothic Revival in central Žeimiai

The church stands beside the Jonava-Šėta road and dominates the small town. Two pointed towers rise from its symmetrical west front, while lancet openings, buttresses, and patterned masonry articulate the red brick. The long three-aisled building is best seen from Kauno Street and the churchyard gate.

The building looks stylistically unified, but its surroundings preserve older layers. Two chapels stand in the churchyard, one containing the Kossakowski family mausoleum. Nearby is a circular late-Baroque chapel known as the Insurgents' Chapel, built by T. Medekša in 1768.

Designed by Vaclovas Michnevičius

The present church rose in 1906-1909 under parish priest and Jonava dean Matas Miežinis. Engineer and architect Vaclovas Michnevičius, who designed more than 30 Lithuanian churches, created the project. It was consecrated in 1909 with the title of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Michnevičius's connection did not end with the design. The architect, who lived at nearby Strebeikiai Manor, was buried in the churchyard in 1947. Visitors can therefore see one of his major works and the author's grave in the same place.

Earlier churches and wartime damage

Žeimiai's first Catholic church was built around 1522 through Andrius Zaviša's endowment. From 1565 to 1631 it belonged to the Reformed community. A new timber church funded by Andrius Medekša in 1720 received the present dedication.

Michnevičius's church suffered severe First World War damage: bells were removed and a tower, stained glass, and organ were damaged. The building was later restored and new bells were cast around 1938. Not every original detail survived.

The three-aisled interior and altars

Inside is a large three-aisled space. Local craftsman Augustinas Meslinas created many of the altars. The high altar contains a devotional image of the Virgin and Child in a metal covering, linking Gothic Revival architecture to an older parish tradition.

Vladislovas Pšibitnevskis created stained glass for the church, although wars and later repairs altered the historic interior. Daylight is best for viewing, but photography must not disturb worship or conflict with local rules.

Opening and service times in 2026

On 21 July 2026 the Kaunas Archdiocese page listed Sunday opening from 09:30 to 11:30 and opening on the first Friday of each month from 16:30 to 17:30. Mass was listed for Saturday and Sunday at 10:30 and for first Fridays at 17:00.

Schedules can change for funerals, feasts, clergy duties, or parish decisions, so recheck the same official page before a special trip. There is no tourist ticket. This is an active church where quiet and respect for the community matter.

Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Žeimiai sources