
- Place
- Klaipėda City Municipality
- Region
- Klaipėda
- Type
- historic and active Evangelical Baptist church
- Address
- 38 Vytauto Street, LT-92127 Klaipėda
- Coordinates
- 55.71151, 21.12809
- Visit duration
- 15-30 minutes for the exterior; allow the time set by the congregation when attending worship
- Best time
- daylight for the exterior; enter only during publicly announced services or by prior arrangement
Klaipėda Baptist Church, Klaipėda Evangelical Christian Baptist Church
A congregation founded in 1841 and a church built in 1851
The Klaipėda Baptist congregation traces its beginning to the carpenter Eduard Grimm. In early October 1841, Johann Gerhard Oncken baptised its first 25 members in the Danė and Curonian Lagoon. A decade later, the congregation counted 234 people and needed a permanent house of worship.
The church was dedicated on 12 October 1851. Karolis Degimas provided the site, while bricks and tiles arrived by water from Stettin. According to Krašto gidas, the city authorities rejected a Neo-Gothic design, so the exterior received restrained round-headed windows instead.
Architecture that resembles an urban meeting house
The heritage record describes a rectangular building with a double-pitched clay-tile roof. Authentic exterior walls or fragments survive in both the church and the adjoining pastor's house, which was built in 1856.
Look for three tall round-headed windows, a small circular opening in the gable and a simple cross above the roof. The restraint is part of the story: the meeting house never gained the high tower or ornate Neo-Gothic silhouette associated with many traditional churches.
The 1854 fire and a building opened to the city
The church survived Klaipėda's Great Fire of 1854. Afterwards, the congregation opened it to wider civic needs: a school operated here temporarily, and Christians of other confessions also worshipped in the building on Sundays. The episode helped change attitudes towards a Baptist community that had previously faced restrictions.
On 2 September 1860, a group of believers from Latvia was baptised here, a date Baptist histories associate with the beginning of Latvian Baptist congregations. The church was repaired in 1876 and underwent more substantial reconstruction in 1928.
Soviet confiscation and return in 1991
In 1944, many congregation members left for the West, and after the war the building lost its religious use. It served as a sailors' club, a warehouse and a teachers' house. For more than three decades, the congregation met in a small fisherman's cottage on Jurbarko Street.
The church was returned to the congregation in 1991. The heritage record also dates reconstruction of the church and pastor's house to that year. It is once again a living religious space, not merely a historic facade.
Visiting an active church respectfully
Service and event times can change, and no reliably accessible official timetable was found while preparing this guide. Look for the congregation's latest notice or contact it directly before travelling.
During worship, enter quietly, arrive on time, silence your phone and do not photograph people without permission. If you only want to see the interior or heritage details, do not expect continuous tourist opening hours. This is an active congregation, so arrange a visit when necessary.
The exact Google listing has place ID ChIJY7LwZ-Xb5EYRkW3oLeaTKUs and marks 55.7115059, 21.1280873. On 24 July 2026 it showed 4.7 out of 5 from 31 reviews. The rating can change over time.



